Cacao and Human Health
Cacao: The Secret Behind Healthy Chocolate
Most people love chocolate. We love its flavor, its aroma, its texture. In fact, we love it so much that over a billion people eat chocolate every day. Surprisingly, however, many of us don’t realize that at the heart of chocolate is a little bean called cacao.
Cacao comes from a tree whose origins date back thousands of years to the ancient peoples of Mesoamerica. These ancient cultures used the cacao bean as the main ingredient in a bitter, health-promoting beverage called xocoatl. This beverage was revered for its nourishing qualities and ability to enhance energy and stamina for long periods of time. This xocoatl wasn’t just a favorite food for the ancient Mesoamericans—it also played an important role in their religions, social interactions and economies.
The Healthiest Food on Earth
What is so special about cacao? This small bean possesses some impressive health-promoting properties that are increasingly supported by science. Most notable is its antioxidant content. Cacao contains potent compounds such as flavonols, polyphenols and procyanidins that exert unique properties. Cacao is also rich in several B vitamins, minerals such as copper, magnesium and zinc, amino acids and mood-boosting chemicals like phenylethylamine (PEA) and theobromine.
This nutritional firepower translates to numerous health benefits. In fact, science now tells us that cacao and dark, healthy chocolate can support the health of most of the body’s major systems. Some of these human health benefits include:
- Superior antioxidant protection
- Increased cardiovascular support
- Anti-aging effects
- Support of the brain mental function
- Healthy inflammatory response
- Significant energy boost
- Improved immune function
- Enhanced blood-sugar control
- Increased ability to maintain a healthy weight
- Controlled appetite and cravings
- Improved mood and emotional health
The Whole Story Video
Did You Know?
- The word “chocolate” is probably derived from the Aztecan words xoco and atl, which means “bitter water.”
- About 300-600 seeds (ten pods) are required to produce about two pounds of cocoa paste.
- Cacao contains at least 45 distinct nutrients and health-promoting compounds.
The Xoçai Difference
- Xoçai is the first product line to re-introduce the concept of healthy chocolate. Its original Activ Healthy Chocolate beverage delivers the same nutritional potency as the ancient Mesoamerican chocolate beverage.
- Unlike the plethora of commercial chocolates available today, Xoçai’s products capture all the healthy goodness of cacao.